Monday, April 12, 2010

Garden Planning

It's time to start planning our garden! 8 more day's (LORD willing) 'till we leave for our farm house.
Once we get there we need to get a garden in fast to get the spring crop in. We get there the end of April and we plan to start building up the garden the second week of May. I am so excited! I keep having to remind myself to think small, but I keep wanting to do a really big garden. We all came to a decision for the garden layout, four 8'X4' raised beds. We can always add more latter if we want. After that was final, I was doing some math, and found out that just those 4 beds are 129 sq feet. WOW! Then I was figuring how many plants can I fit in one bed (32 sq feet)? Well I found out in just 4 sq feet we can plant 64 carrots! Same thing with the Bush Beans, we can plant 9 plants per sq foot, and if we plant 4 sq feet of beans altogether we would have 37 bean plants. Now I'm thinking its not so small. :)

1 comment:

Alice said...

So exciting! :) I've always wanted to do a garden with food...we tried last year, but the unusually heavy hail last year pretty much killed everything but a few plants. :/ oh well. But anyways...I'm so excited for you guys! :D Definitely post pictures!!